An "active NPC", also known as active non-player character or ANPC, is an NPC Toon that is played by an actual human. So far, active NPCs have only been played by members of the Toontown Rewritten Team. This means that a staff member chooses to role-play as a specific character for certain special events. When not played by an actual human, they are controlled by a computer program and act as normal NPCs.
Active NPCs are just like other players, except with an icon for identification. However, they seem incapable of allowing players to add them as friends.
- Flippy - while running for President of the Toon Council during his campaigns, and for International Pi(e) Day to offer pies.
- Slappy - while running for President of the Toon Council during his campaigns.
- Doctor Surlee - made an appearance while inspecting the Toon Council Presidential Elections, and another time at Chip 'n Dale's MiniGolf to analyze silliness.
- Alec Tinn - made an appearance while inspecting the Toon Council Presidential Elections.
- Lord Lowden Clear - to help Toons fight the Vice President and the Chief Financial Officer by using unites consisting of toon-ups and gag-ups.
- Mata Hairy - to help Toons fight the Vice President by using unites consisting of toon-ups and gag-ups. She fought the first ever Vice President battle with Lord Lowden Clear.
- Good ol' Gil Giggles - made an appearance, along with several other Resistance Rangers, to help Toons battle Cogs and Cog Buildings for a chance to earn the Cog-Crusher Outfit.
Name of origin
The term "active NPC" was created by users of the Toontown Rewritten Wiki. Another term known as "staff player character" had also contributed to the thought process of creating this page. However, it was decided that "active NPC" was the best option.
You can find the discussion threads regarding the term at "NPC and SPC" or "NPCs (Non Playable Character) and the SPCs (Staff Played Character)".
Note that in old tabletop RPGs, the Game Master (or referee) would play the part of all the NPCs and sometimes take control of other players to move the story forward.