Cogs are the main antagonists of Toontown Rewritten. Cogs are business robots with the objective to convert Toontown into a dark corporate land. Their corporate ladders comprise of eight Cogs each, with a total of 32 different Cogs (36 if you count the bosses, 37 if you also count the Director of Ambush Marketing) with levels varying from level 1 to 12, but excluding the Director of Ambush Marketing where it was level 50. Cogs use a set of attacks to sadden the wacky, cheerful Toons into losing all their laff points; stronger Cogs tend to have higher health and stronger attacks.
The Cogs made their first canonical appearance as antagonists at the Toon Council Presidential Elections and turned the event into Doomsday. Before they were antagonists, their first appearance was in particular Trolley games where they would provide friendly competition. After the Cogs tried to take over the Toon Council Presidential Elections, they now roam the streets of Toontown, taking over Toon buildings by dropping Cog buildings on top of them.
|“||The good or bad of an idea depends on the maker's purpose. It is one thing to undo a mistake, but fate cannot be altered.||”|
The Cogs were first known as "Trolley-bots" and they would appear in various trolley games to compete against the Toons. On March 26, 2014, the Trolley-bots were recalled because Doctor Surlee accidentally left them in debug mode. With debug mode on, whenever Toons would play a trolley game with Trolley-bots, the Toons would receive a single whisper of a secret message like DS-Debug1: Serial Suit #0045 Method.
When all secret messages were received, they formed two sentences as pieced together:
In this order, the hexadecimal serial numbers could be decoded to read "Creating Equiment" (without the letter "p"). This was instrumental in decrypting Doctor Surlee's blueprint of the Manufacturing Machine. The debug messages don't just show us how to break a Silly Cipher, it also shows us the true nature of the Cogs. Like Sir Max said before, it doesn't matter what toony thing the Toons do because the Cogs' method will be the same.
Doctor Surlee revealed to Sir Max that a certain button combination on the Trolley-bot control panel will temporarily deactivate the Trolley-bots. To do this, Doctor Surlee said to press the second one on the top row, the far right one, the first one and then the first one on the bottom row. This information would have perhaps been more useful if the control panel was not broken.
The Toon Council Presidential Elections was the day the Cogs first started invading Toontown. A level three Yesman, the first Cog to appear in Toontown (outside of trolley games), made Slappy go sad. These robots were dubbed "Cogs" by Doctor Surlee right before the event was invaded. Later during the event, more Cogs led by the Director of Ambush Marketing arrived. Eventually, all the invading Cogs were defeated by Flippy and the rest of the Toons.
After the Cogs invaded the Toon Council Presidential Elections at Toontown Central, Toontown is now completely in peril, so it is up to the Toons to fight against the Cogs to keep Toontown safe and full of happy laughter.
- Main article: Cog Invasion
An invasion happens when a specific type of Cog from any of the four corporate ladders take over a certain district. They can happen at any time in any district. During this time, no other Cog, except the invading Cog, are roaming the streets and Cog buildings. Skill points are doubled if a gag is successfully used.
In some cases, the Cogs will go above and beyond to launch full-scaled Mega-Invasions. Whenever a Mega-Invasion occurs, the invading Cog will take over most districts, but only a few will remain as "safe zones".
- Main article: Cog Buildings
Cog buildings are buildings that are being dropped onto toon buildings by the Cogs. Toons can revert a cog building back into a toon building by defeating all the Cogs inside the building. If a group of Toons successfully defeat the cog building, their names and faces will be shown as portraits on the wall inside the building. If a Toon can capture enough of these buildings without them being reproduced by the Cogs, the Toon may earn a star over their head.
- Main article: Cog Headquarters
The Cogs have 4 different HQs.
- Sellbot Headquarters (accessible by Daisy Gardens though Oak Street)
- Cashbot Headquarters (accessible by Donald's Dreamland though Pajama Place)
- Lawbot Headquarters (accessible by The Brrrgh though Polar Place)
- Bossbot Headquarters (accessible by Chip 'n Dale's MiniGolf)
- In Toontown Online, Cogs were originally called "metal clothes". Cogs are referred to as suit in the game's phase files and source code.
- In Toontown Online's "Toon News... for the Amused!", all Cogs were said to have weaknesses to certain Gags. In battle, however, all Gags work the same against the Cogs.
- In Toontown Online, the Cogs were invented by Gyro Gearloose, but in Toontown Rewritten, the Cogs were invented by Doctor Surlee.
- As seen in an old Toontown Online download video, Scrooge McDuck visits Gyro's lab and accidentally activated the Cogs. Toontown Online is indeed canon to Toontown Rewritten in this scenario.
- A Cog's maximum health can be determined by using the formula (x+1)(x+2), where x is the Cog's level. However, this does not work for level 12 Cogs (they have an additional +10% health boost).
- In street battles, when a Cog defeats a Toon and there are no more Toons left in the battle, they will taunt by dancing and then fly away.
- There are three Cog body types: thick (fat), thin, and muscular (broad chested). This is applied both for ordinary Cogs and for Skelecogs.
- Fat Cogs are mostly Cogs at the bottom of the corporate ladder.
- The Cogs at the top of the corporate ladder mostly have the muscular (broad chested) body.
- The only body type that has a unique move is the thin body, and that is shaking the ground.
- Originally Posted by joey19982 (Sir Max) on 09-30-2013 (Post #253)
- Yes, TTR has a full storyline to explain everything- even why people have to start over at 15 laff points. You'll see parts of it as development continues, but it is a pretty deep story that won't be fully revealed for a while. While the game is still going to be targeted at children, I want to add deeper aspects than "cogs are bad."
- ↑ http://www.mmocentralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4034801#post4034801
posted by joey19982 at 03-31-2014 on the "Serial Codes" thread on MMO Central Forums