Controls are a multitude of keys on your computer's keyboard that are required to perform various things when playing Toontown Rewritten, such as walking. Using a mouse is also needed to play the game as there are many buttons to click and navigate.
|up (↑)||Run forward|
|down (↓)||Walk backward|
|left (←)||Turn left|
|right (→)||Turn right|
|tab||Changes view to next camera angle|
|shift+tab||Changes view to previous camera angle|
|Page Up||fn + up (↑)||Page Up||Start/stop looking upwards|
|Page Down||fn + down (↓)||Page Down||Start/stop looking downwards|
|home||fn + left (←)||home||Hold to show gags|
|end||fn + right (→)||end||Hold to show ToonTask(s)|
|delete||fn+delete||delete||Throw/flip items (in certain situations)|
|insert||?||?||Same use as "Delete"|
|alt||alt||alt||Open/close Street M.A.P.S.|
|esc||Open/close Shticker Book (to the "Options & Codes" page)|
|shift+F1||Shows the Toon's coordinates in a thought bubble|
|F2||?||?||In Cog facilities, this shows a thought bubble regarding the Toon's position in the facility, the facility's type, the floor number, and the current room's name and ID.|
|F3||fn+F3||F3||Turn off/on Toon T.A.G.S. HUD (Heads Up Display, popup messages, etc.)|
|alt+F4||fn+F4 or command+Q||alt+F4||Closes the game|
|shift+F6||fn+shift+F6||shift+F6||Shows ping/latency in a word bubble|
|F7||fn+F7||F7||Opens the friends list|
|F8||fn+F8||F8||Open/close Shticker Book|
|F9||fn+F9||F9||Takes a screenshot|
|F10||?||?||Takes a screenshot that includes debug information|
|Type a message (must have SpeedChat Plus enabled)||Create a word bubble|
|Type a dot then a message (must have SpeedChat Plus enabled)||Creates a thought bubble|
|Enter||Skips some dialog/say the message typed in the chat box|
|Type only a dot (.) then say it (must have SpeedChat Plus enabled)||Clears the word/thought bubble above your Toon's head|
- Typing a dot will only delete the Toon's previous bubble, not create a blank bubble like it happens when you press SPACE only.
- If you are in a room/area with a thought bubble, you will have to refresh it (type it again) periodically as any Toons who enter the room/area after you typed your thought will not be able to see it. In technical terms, this is due to a constraint within Astron that limits interest on the bubble to only those that it is initially sent to, and not to any new arrivals.
- Your Toon's walking controls are similar to the "tank controls" in other games.
- If the up (↑) and down (↓) arrow keys are held at the same time, your Toon will run forward.
- If the left (←) and right (→) arrow keys are held at the same time, your Toon will turn left.
- The ability to jump by using the space bar becomes essential at a Cog headquarters later in the game. This involves bypassing obstacles or dodging an attack from a Cog boss.
- The ability to close the game by pressing command+Q on Mac was implemented to Toontown Rewritten on January 29, 2014.