Create-A-Toon is the process of creating a Toon for the player to control. After a Toon is created, he/she either proceeds to the Toon-torial or heads directly to Toontown Central if the Toon-torial is skipped. Accounts with only one player are required to enter the Toon-torial, but accounts with multiple players are able to skip the Toon-torial.
The player can pick the Toon's gender by clicking on the blue for male or pink for female Toons in this menu of the process.
There is a slight difference between female and male Toons. Females have eyelashes and can wear skirts and select shorts, while males have a fair amount of exclusive shorts to wear.
There is a total of nine different Toon species to choose from. In the the original Toontown, the Monkey, the Bear, and the Horse species could only be used by subscribed players. This is not the case in Toontown Rewritten.
A Toon can also have its distinct design. All species have a very different design to choose from.
Cats have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Dogs have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Duck HeadsDucks have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Mouse HeadsMice have 2 head designs to choose from. They are:
Pig HeadsPigs have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Rabbit HeadsRabbits have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Bear HeadsBears have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Horse HeadsHorses have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Monkey HeadsMonkeys have 4 head designs to choose from. They are:
Body StylesAll Toon species have the same choice of bodies. They are:
Leg StylesAll Toon species have the same choice of legs along with their bodies. They include:
- Main article: Toon Colors
There are several colors for Toons to choose from. Toons will start out in the Create-A-Toon with one overall color, but later, different colors can be chosen. Different colors are possible for every of the three sections of the Toon's body. Clicking on the shuffle button results on getting a random mix of colors on the Toon.
- Main article: Clothing
Every Toon is required to have clothes. All species have the same selection of clothes. All colors for the starter shirts, pants/trousers and skirts are the same as the colors for Toons. Note however that there are two different kinds of starter items available to a Toon. All starter shirts have two designs, which are for both male and female.
There are three different types of starter bottoms. Different genders have different bottoms:
- Only male Toons can have pants with a buckle.
- Only female Toons can have skirts.
A Toon can be named through two different methods, which are pregenerated names and Type-A-Name.
Pregenerated names are prechosen names given by Toontown Rewritten. These names are acceptable and do not have to be approved by the Toon Council.
Type-A-Name is another way a Toon can be named. However, names that are not in the pregenerated names will need to be reviewed by the Toon Council. Thus, when playing on a Toon whose name hasn't been reviewed, their names will be the color of the Toon's head and the species they chose. (Ex: Aqua Dog, Royal Blue Duck, Yellow Rabbit)
Some names are automatically rejected before being sent to review. This happens if the name is too long, longer than four words, too short, contains numbers, contains no vowels, contains unsupported characters, contains too many of the same character, contains dashes without connecting words, contains too many capital letters or all capital letters, contains improperly used periods, begins or ends with a comma, or contains copyrighted/blacklisted words.
- Mice have the least head designs to choose from, that being only two.
- Female Toons are allowed to wear select shorts.
- If a female Toon performs the Bow animation while wearing shorts, she will do a boy's bow instead doing a girl's bow.
- In Toontown Online, the earlier versions of the Create-A-Toon featured the Toon being colored gray with no clothes on and being guided by Mickey if they are a male, or by Minnie if they are a female.
- Now with the new Create-A-Toon, the Toon is colored and has clothes on. Mickey and Minnie were also cut off from appearing in the Toon-torial on Toontown Rewritten.
- The coding for naked Toons is still in the game, but it hasn't been used.
- There are exactly 12,284,338,176 combinations that a player can choose from for their Toon. Most of these combinations come from different colors and clothes.
- The animals in order when scrolling left to right when choosing which species you want will be randomized.