Doodles live in their owner's estate after adoption. When a Toon arrives at their estate, they will be able to see the doodle's tag on their screen if they own one already. Upon clicking the doodle's tag, you will see a small box show up, similar to when you click on another Toon's name, showing your doodle and allowing you to see your doodle's current status, such as its tricks tab, and the ability to call, feed, and pet your doodle. From here you can also see your doodle's current mood. Your doodle also appears on your friends list so you can check on your doodle from anywhere.
Depending on which Pet Shop you buy your doodle from, you will get many randomized doodle variations from colors and spots to tails, ears, noses, and even hair - as well as a multitude of options for naming. The options for each Pet Shop's doodles changes each day for each playground. If a Toon is not satisfied with the purchased doodle, they can talk to one of the Pet Shop clerks to return their current doodle, but will not get a refund.
Doodles can be trained to do tricks for Toons, which can heal a set amount of laff. They can be called into battle as well to perform a trick to heal the Toons participating in the battle. Training a trick boosts how much laff a trick can restore, and reduces the chance of the doodle getting confused. Depending on where you get your doodle, they will have different traits which determines their behavior, and how well they can learn tricks. Toontown Central usually has the cheapest doodles, thus they usually have worse traits. On the other hand, doodles in Donald's Dreamland are usually far more expensive, but that means they usually have some of the best traits.
Upon the creation of a new Toon, you automatically gain the first trick phrase command in SpeedChat: "Jump!". This is the most basic trick that a doodle can learn, capable of restoring up to 10 laff when fully trained, and 5 laff with minimal training. To teach your doodle a trick, or practice a trick "Call" for them. Once your doodle arrives at your exact location, you can go to your SpeedChat menu under the "Pets" section, and pick on the desired phrase.
After picking your desired phrase, your doodle will then either perform the trick, or a '?' icon will appear above its head, meaning it did not understand, and the trick failed. If the trick was a success, the doodle will heal any Toons in close proximity, and will gain points in its trick meter. The trick meter can be accessed by clicking on your doodle's name, and hitting the arrow on the bottom left. As the trick meter increases, thelLaff the trick restores also increases until it reaches its maximum. Doodles can become tired after doing tricks, signaled by the ZZZ cloud icon, and will need rest. To help the doodle feel happy, you can feed it with jellybeans, and say good things to it, such as "Good boy!" or "Good girl!".
- Jump (5-10 laff)
- Beg (6-12 laff)
- Play Dead (7-14 laff)
- Rollover (8-16 laff)
- Backflip (9-18 laff)
- Dance (10-20 laff)
- Speak (11-22 laff)
Each trick heals a different amount of laff. Jump heals the least laff, and speak heals the most.
Doodles can go through different moods, which can affect their overall behavior. Different traits can influence how often certain moods occur. For example, an often tired doodle will get tired frequently, often after single tricks, while a rarely tired doodle will almost never tire out after doing tricks. Each mood can affect how the doodle performs, and what the doodle requires before it goes back to being in a normal mood. Moods also have their own symbols, which will appear above their heads.
As stated above, various traits can affect a doodle's overall behavior. To find a doodle with the best possible traits, visit the Pet Shop from The Brrrgh or Donald's Dreamland. The rest of the Pet Shops intend to have doodles with decent traits and bad traits. Standard doodles can at least be found in the Pet Shop from Donald's Dock.
The looks of doodles are randomly pre-selected when visiting a Pet Shop clerk. Every doodle has a jellybean-shaped body, come in most of the original colors, and have an array of possible body parts (fur patterns, tails, ears, horns, and antennae).
Help in battle
Not only are there SOS Toons that offer additional help to players during a Cog battle, but so can doodles too. Doodles act as an SOS that is always with their owner no matter what. When a doodle is called, the Toon selects a trick and the doodle attempts to perform the trick after teleporting. If the trick fails, the doodle feels sad. If the trick successfully works, laff points will be granted to all Toons in battle, depending on the amount a trick rewards. It will also gain training points when a trick is successfully performed in battle. The doodle will then teleport back to their owner's estate afterwards.
- Doodles behave similarly to dogs.
- Despite there being a chicken leg symbol above a doodle's head when feeling hungry, they only share their love for jellybeans.
- Doodles can swim in the estate's fishing pond. Unlike Toons, they float on the water instead of diving into it. When doodles swim, their legs act as paddles to propel them through the water.
- The first appearance of a doodle in Toontown Rewritten was at ToonFest 2014, where Flippy first found Fluffy. Flippy found Fluffy while he was helping with constructing the ToonFest grounds.
- When Barbecue Headquarters opened as ToonFest on April 1, 2015, Fluffy mentioned "Home is near!", which hinted that other doodles were nearby.
- Right after ToonFest 2015 ended on October 20, 2015, Flippy found out that Fluffy had gone missing. Flippy mentioned how there is something about the area that made Fluffy wander off.
- Shockley stated at OMG!Con 2015 that doodles caused heavy server lag in Toontown Online, which is they had to fix this before implementing doodles to prevent lag issues and stress on servers.
- On April 8, 2017, Fluffy was spotted roaming around Toontown. Players could hunt for him in Toon Buildings and, if found, would speak some dialogue about his friends, which hinted towards the release of doodles.
- During April Toons Week, the silliness allows doodles to speak just like Toons, and often express their moods more clearly.
- Doodles can gain credit from doing their action successfully while giving a toon a Toon-Up in battle.
- The price of a doodle, as well as the quality of its traits, does differ from each playground. You can find the cheapest doodles in Toontown Central, and find the most expensive ones in Donald's Dreamland.