A Toon becomes "sad" when they lose all of their laff points in a Cog battle. Upon losing a battle, the Toon will have their gags taken away by the Cogs (including level seven gags) and is sent back to the nearest playground. Sad Toons cannot leave the playground, which means that they cannot go to the streets, go to other playgrounds, go to their own estate, or even hop on the trolley until they have gained at least one laff point.
While a Toon is sad, they stand with their head down and walk slower than happy Toons, and cannot jump, and their laff meter becomes a sickly green color with X-ed out eyes. Sad Toons cannot collect any treasures.
|The sound of a Toon going sad|
- Slappy was the first NPC Toon to become sad and the first one who became sad to a Yesman and by Positive Reinforcement.
- In Toontown Online, sad Toons could jump slightly off the ground. This may have been a bug.
- In the Toon Slingshot trolley game, a Toon becomes sad and its respective sound effect starts to play when a Toon does not land on a target.
- In Donald's Dock, a sad Toon can swim at a normal speed under water.
- Toons do not lose their gags when going sad via the following ways:
- There is a glitch that sometimes occurs where a Toon can remain sad at a Cog headquarters, then quits the game. When logging back onto the game, the Toon stays in the respective headquarters and can battle Cogs as normal, except that the laff meter will show - one laff points.
- If the Cogs defeat all opposing Toons in battle, they will make a taunting pose as the last Toon goes sad (as seen in the gallery below).