The Toon Council Presidential Elections was a major event where Flippy and Slappy were in competition with one-another to become the official president of the Toon Council. Although the winner had been successfully elected, trouble brewed in Toontown for the very first time, as the Cogs unleashed an ambush marketing invasion known as Doomsday on the same day.
Both candidates, Flippy and Slappy, conducted a series of campaigns to whew the citizens of Toontown in order to win their votes.
- Become a Black Cat on Halloween.
- Offer Whole Cream Pies from his pie stand.
- Launch fireworks during the New Year's Day of 2014.
- Become a Polar Bear on Christmas.
- Initiate a grand snowball fight on Christmas.
- Offer unites for gags and jellybeans from his jellybean stand.
- Offer a ride on his hot air balloon.
- Become a Green Toon on St. Patrick's Day.
The election took place from February 17, 2014 to April 19, 2014, and each candidate hosted their own daily campaigns each consecutive day. It depended on which candidate hosted them, but usually one of them picked up where the other left off. The following are a series of blog posts that took place over the course of the election:
- February 15 - The Toon Council Presidential Elections (posted by Alec Tinn)
- February 17 - Flip For Flippy: Cobber the Competition! (posted by Flippy)
- February 19 - Don't be Wacky: Jumping for Jellybeans (posted by Slappy)
- February 21 - Flip for Flippy: Toontastic Trajectory (posted by Flippy)
- February 22 - Electoral Update: Pre-Election Jitters (posted by Alec Tinn)
- February 23 - Don't be Wacky; High in the Sky (posted by Slappy)
- February 25 - Don't be Wacky: A Slappy Surprise (posted by Slappy)
- February 27 - Flip for Flippy: Painting Pies (posted by Flippy)
- February 28 - Electoral Update: Voting goes Virtual! (posted by Alec Tinn)
- March 1 - Electoral Update: The Delightful Delays (posted by Alec Tinn)
- March 2 - Don't be Wacky: The First of the Last (posted by Slappy)
- March 4 - Flip for Flippy: Keys with Kindness (posted by Flippy)
- March 6 - Don't be Wacky: Three Cheers for Two Keys (posted by Slappy)
- March 8 - Electoral Update: An Absolutely Animated Update (posted by Alec Tinn)
- March 10 - Flip for Flippy: Who's Counting? (posted by Flippy)
- March 12 - Don't be Wacky: Another Picture Problem (posted by Slappy)
- March 14 - Electoral Update: Breaking Cannons (posted by Sir Max)
- March 15 - Electoral Update: Putting a Foot Down (posted by Alec Tinn)
- March 17 - Flip for Flippy: Out with a Bang (posted by Flippy)
- March 19 - Don't be Wacky: A Very Merry Unbirthday (posted by Slappy)
- March 21 - Electoral Update: Making History! (posted by Alec Tinn)
- March 22 - Electoral Update: Tomorrow's Just a Day Away (posted by The TTR Team)
- March 23 - Electoral Update: A Not-so-Quick Q&A (posted by Sir Max)
- April 12 - Electoral Update: The Ultimate Cliffhanger (posted by Alec Tinn)
- April 17 - Electoral Update: The Science of Democracy (posted by Professor Flake)
- April 18 - Electoral Update: Time is Ticking (posted by Alec Tinn)
- April 19 - The Toon Council Presidential Election Day (posted by Alec Tinn)
- April 20 - The Electoral Encore (posted by The TTR Team)
- April 20 - RED ALERT: "Cogs" have Invaded Toontown! (posted by Toon HQ)
The main event
Before the election, Doctor Surlee stood outside to welcome Toons far and wide. Once the election began, Alec Tinn, Flippy, and Slappy exited out of the Toon Hall and approached to the stage. Flippy and Slappy then began their welcoming speeches. After that, Alec Tinn started the Grand Electoral Counters, revealing Slappy as the winner. Just as the celebration began, a Yesman came down from the sky. All Toons were surprised and somewhat frightened to encounter some strange robot, but Slappy's wacky personality led him to his downfall. The Yesman used "Positive Reinforcement" to drain all of Slappy's laff and cause him to go sad. Flippy defeated the Yesman with one of his pies after demanding where Slappy was transported to, thus the Cogs had arrived to initiate Doomsday.
The event was livestreamed by Toontown Rewritten on their official YouTube channel, as well as many other streamers of the Toontown community.
|Introducing Alec Tinn|
|Announcing the Winner of the Election|
|An Unexpected Interruption|
|Doomsday Battle Music|
|Doomsday Victory Music|
|Ending the Election|
After the election ended, the camera zoomed into a portal and showed a credits scene that introduced staff members of the Toontown Rewritten Team. When the credits finished, a message would come up on the screen revealing that the game had closed until Beta. Several of the staff members had silly captions mostly related to blog posts published by them. (For example, Hawkheart was listed as the Fish Bingo Controller. This is a direct reference to the blog post, "Daily Alpha Update: The Tale of the Fish Bingo Controller").
All the credits can be seen at the end of the election livestream around 3:04:09.
|Toontown Rewritten Credits|
- The development name for the election was known as "Doomsday".
- In the official script, Flippy's opponent was referred to as "Floppy" as a finance to Flippy. Lenny Flair, another Toon introduced in the script, was also originally intended to be the camera man before being replaced by Doctor Surlee's camera bots.
- In the February 22, 2014 electoral update, Flippy and Slappy's campaign stands were animated due to pre-election jitters. This was the first time Toontown Rewritten debuted animated objects, besides the animated telescope on the Toon Headquarters in Toontown Central.
- In the February 28, 2014 electoral update, Alec Tinn announced the start of voting, but also the voting limit was extended to two weeks, which means the election was delayed until March 15, 2014. Then later on the March 14, 2014 electoral update, Sir Max announced that the election has been delayed once again by a week and March 22, 2014 was the date. Due to server issues on March 22, the election was delayed once again and was finally put out on April 19, 2014.
- In theory, the storyline would have likely changed if Flippy was the one who won the election and went sad.
- The election was when the Cogs made their first appearance in general at Toontown Central.
- The election included interactive NPCs: Slappy, Flippy, Alec Tinn, Doctor Surlee, Doctor Dimm, and Professor Prepostera. However, Doctor Dimm and Professor Prepostera did not have speaking roles.
- Slappy is considered the official winner of the election. Due to Slappy's absence, Flippy has been chosen as president by Alec Tinn and Doctor Surlee because he is the only leader left. However, Flippy once stated that he will be temporary president until Slappy returns.
- Slappy had five gimmicks for his campaign and Flippy only had three, which could have been the reason that Slappy won the votes of many Toons.
- The original campaign stands of both Flippy and Slappy had play on words with alliteration and rhymes. Flippy's stand said "Busy Baking" while Slappy's stand had "Busy Banking."
- During one of his balloon rides, Slappy said that if he was elected president, he would remove those cardboard cutouts in the background of Toontown Central. However, it is unknown if anything will be done.
- Roger Dog "leaked" two MP4s of animations for the campaign stands in the #toontownrewritten IRC channel, which includes the here and here. and . Links to the videos reposted on the MMO Central Forums can be found
- At the time when ToonFest 2014 started, brand new clothes were released in terms of how long Tons played Toontown Rewritten. One of the brand new clothes are Flippy and Slappy's Doomsday Survivor shirts. Everyone who played the game during Alpha received these shirts by typing the codes in the Shticker Book "flip-for-flippy" and "dont-be-wacky".
- As stated in a backstage blog post and during OMG!Con 2015, Joey announced that they purposefully tried to make Slappy the better candidate by giving him the new content. This was done to make Slappy win the election because they did not want Flippy to go sad.