Toons are the main protagonists of Toontown Rewritten. They are depicted as colorful, joke-loving, and carefree characters, that keep the Cogs from turning the Toons' colorful world into a dark and depressing business dystopia.
There is a selection of nine Toon species that players are able to create. They include: Bears, Dogs, Ducks, Cats, Horses, Monkeys, Mice, Pigs, and Rabbits. In Toontown Online, the bear, horse, pig, and monkey could only be created by subscribed players, but this limitation does not apply to Toontown Rewritten as the game is completely free.
The Toontown Species Election was announced to make its debut for Toontown Rewritten, which is an event that focuses on electing a new species. Toontown Online had several voting events from years past with three unreleased species that did not win.
Toons may participate in certain activites to gain jellybeans. Different activities (however not all of them produce jellybeans) include fishing, racing, golfing, trolley, gardening, and fighting Cogs.
Toons can group up in all activities. When fishing, Toons can play the fish bingo together, which gifts them jellybeans when finished before time runs out. Another example is the trolley. Up to four Toons at a time can sit on the [trolley to participate in multiplayer minigames.
At Chip 'n Dale's Acorn Acres, Toons can enjoy food on the picnic tables, or play games on the empty ones. These games were also included at ToonFest, where Toons were also able to throw pies at Cog dummies and ride the merry-go-round under the tower, which may be reversed, sped up or slowed down if a Toon hits a dummy.
- Main article: NPC
NPCs (non-playable characters) are notable residents of Toontown who are characters run by a computer script rather than an actual person playing the game. There are various functions that NPC Toons carry out in the game, which include giving ToonTasks to player-controlled Toons, owning shops and being positioned in the playgrounds for promotional events.
- The term Toon is often used to describe a character in a cartoon (or sometimes animated) movie, series, or any other television-related item.
- Each Toon species has a different "howl" for whenever three O's are said in a row when speaking, or when using the speedchat phrase "Owoooo!"
- The monkey's is the least distinctive, as "ooo" is occasionaly used when a monkey says an invalid word in SpeedChat Plus.
- In Toontown Online, the pig, monkey, and bear did not originally exist. They were later added on in three different voting events.
- In Toontown Online, the cow, chicken, and goat were the three unreleased Toon species that lost several voting events. It is unknown if one of these species will be released in Toontown Rewritten.
- Sir Max mentioned that they will have another voting event after Toontown Rewritten opened to the public (which in fact did happen).
- Toons can have different statuses under their names. "Name Approved" means that a name has been approved for a Toon, "Under Review" means that a name is still being reviewed, and "Name Rejected" means that a name has been rejected from approval.
- If you requested a name for your Toon and unsure of why it has been rejected, try emailing email@example.com for an explanation on the matter, or simply continue requesting the name until it gets approved, as some staff members may have different perspectives of what is considered appropriate for the game.
- Although this is uncontrollable, a Toon's head will move to the direction of facing towards another nearby Toon. The same thing happens with NPCs as well.